visa central


TEL: 076-208-3380OPEN 9:00-18:00 ON WEEKDAYS



What is the difference between permanent residence and naturalization?
Naturalization means that a foreigner acquires Japanese nationality, and permanent residence means that a foreigner acquires the right to permanently reside in Japan as a foreigner. When naturalized, foreigners acquire Japanese nationality and lose the nationality of their country of origin, but that is not the case for permanent residents as their nationality does not change . When a foreign national start to live in Japan, he/she first obtains a status of residence, and then, after going through a few renewals of the status of residence while living a sound life with a stable income for 5-10 years, the possibility to become a permanent resident or a Japanese citizen will arise.
If you naturalize and acquire Japanese nationality, you will acquire all the rights that Japanese people can obtain, such as voting rights and social security, but you will not be able to easily return to the nationality of your country of origin. Therefore, it is recommended that those who are determined to live in Japan for the rest of their lives apply for naturalization, and those who want to continue a stable life in Japan for the time being but who may return to their country of origin in the future apply for permanent residence.

When a foreigner obtains a permanent residence status, he/she will receive the following benefits:
  • No limit on period of stay, and renewing the status of residence will be unnecessary.
  • No restrictions on occupations to select
  • Conditions for starting a business, such as capital of 5 million yen and two or more employees, will disappear.
  • It will be easier to get a bank loan.
  • Spouse/children will be able to obtain the status of residence "spouse of permanent resident" and "permanent resident".
  • Live permanently in Japan even if you divorce your Japanese spouse.

  • The decision on whether or not a permanent residence status is permitted is ultimately at the discretion of the Minister of Justice, but there is a guideline for permission that Ministry of Justice has published. The content has much in common with the naturalization, but some requirements are relaxed. The contents of the guidelines for permanent residence are described below.


    Residence requirement
    Continue to have a residence in Japan for at least 10 years.
    You are required to continue to stay in Japan for at least 10 years. It is not the total number of years, but required to continue to stay, so even if you have a period of stay of 10 years or more, if your stay is interrupted, the requirement is deemed not satisfied, and the count returns to zero. In addition, the fact that you have been in Japan is not enough, but you are required to have a working status of residence for at least 5 years out of the 10 years you have been in Japan. However, in the case of "Japanese spouse" or "Spouse of permanent resident/special permanent resident", the requirement is diminished to 3 years or more after marriage. Also, in addition to the above, the current status of residence must be the maximum period for each status.
    Behavior requirement
    Your behavior shall be good.
    Tax payment:
    No delinquent tax payment. Those who work for a company are required to have paid residence tax, and those who run a business are required to have paid corporate tax and personal business tax.
    In addition, it should be noted that improper declarations such as making parents dependents though they are separate and not actually supported by you, only to save tax, may also be considered as not satisfying the behavioral requirements.
    Pention shall be paidIf you are a company employee whose welfare pension is deducted from your salary, this is not an issue, but if you are not, you must be paying the national pension. Your payment record for at least one year, and in some cases for three years will be checked. In the case of permanent residence application, whether or not the payment deadline is met is also an important factor.Business managers are required to enroll in the Enployees' pention insurance and pay the premium. Even if payment is completed, the permit may not be granted if the deadline is not met.
    Traffic violation:
    History of traffic violations over the past 5 years will be checked, and serious speeding or drunk driving may result in denial. Minor traffic violation will become a disadvantage if repeated for more than 3-4 times.
    Criminal history:
    Depending on the severity of the crime, having a criminal record increases the likelihood of being denied.
    Livelihood requirement
    Being able to earn a living from the assets or abilities of one's own or a spouse or other relative who makes a living.
    Have a regular job and earn a stable income. Having an annual income of 3 million yen or more over the past three years is a guideline for stable income.
    Even if you have a loan or borrowing, it does not matter as long as you can repay stably within the income range. However, if payments are overdue, it can lead to the determination that you are not meeting your livelihood requirements.
    A guarantor is required to apply for permanent residence. The best guarantor is Japanese, but foreign nationals with permanent resident status can become one, too. Unlike the guarantor of the loan agreement, the guarantor of the permanent residence permit is only morally responsible and does not incur any monetary compensation.
    The guarantor should have a stable income i.e. typically JPY200,000/month at least, and fulfill his/her obligations such as tax payment. Those who are in arrears are not allowed.If you are married to a Japanese person, your spouse can be your guarantor, otherwise your company boss or friends can be, too.


    Step.1  Initial Consultation(free) and Quotation
    Please contact us by phone or the inquiry form.
    In addition to the initial consulting on the application procedure, we will hear the details of your request and current situation, and investigate whether you satisfy the requirements for permanent residence, the possibility of permission, and other foreseeable problems, etc. Then, we will provide you with a schedule and a quotation. If you are satisfied with our proposal, please place an order.
    Step.2  Place Order
    Sign a delegation contract to make it a firm order.
    After that, please transfer the first payment.
    Step.3  Collect Certificates and Create Documents
    We will list documents required for your naturalization application. If there are documents that only you can obtain, we will advise you how you can obtain them. We will translate the documents as necessary (additional costs may be incurred depending on the volume).
    Step.4  Application to the Immigration Services Bureau
    Once the application documents are ready, the immigration lawyer will submit them to the regional immigration service bureau office which covers the area you live in, and respond to questions and requests from immigration inspectors. You do not have to go to the Immigration services bureau by yourself. Transfer the final payment at the time of application.
    Step.5  Delivery of Residence Card
    The permanent residence application procedure will take 4 to 10 months from the receipt of the application. The results will be notified to the immigration lawyer from the immigration services bureau. Once you are granted permanent residence, we will deliver a new residence card issued by the immigration services bureau. In the unlikely event that the permission is denied, the immigration lawyer will consult with the bureau and investigate the reason, and reapply at free of charge.


    Service Price
    Certificate of eligibility JPY 120,000 + Tax
    Status of residence change JPY 120,000 + Tax
    Status of residence renewal JPY 60,000 + Tax
    Naturalization JPY 200,000 + Tax
    Permanent residence JPY 120,000 + Tax
    Consultation(except for first 60min.) JPY 5,000/30min. + Tax


    If you have any questions, want to hear more about the service, the first consultation is FREE!
    Please feel free to contact us using the inquiry form below or by phone.

    走り書き 走り書き